Sunday, November 28, 2010

Winter Birds Have Finally Returned

For the last couple of months my backyard has been virtually absent of birds. Other than a flock of House Sparrows and Crows that roam the neighborhood as well as a few Chickadees, Titmice and a pair of Inca Doves that have been coming to the feeders every day or so, it's been awfully quiet. Even the Northern Cardinals, which I usually have in large numbers year round, haven't been around.

That all changed yesterday morning with temperatures in the high 20's. This last cold front has finally brought my winter migrants to the backyard feeders. In all, I had eight varieties of migrant birds in the backyard yesterday morning that I haven't seen since the early Spring including several Chipping Sparrows & Dark Eyed Juncos, an American Goldfinch, two Orange-crowned Warblers, a White-crowned Sparrow, a Ruby-crowned Kinglet, a female Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, and a Yellow-rumped Warbler. I also had several other non migrant varieties that have been largely absent since early September including Cardinals, Downy Woodpeckers, a pair of Mockingbirds, a Carolina Wren, an Eastern Phoebe, a pair of Eastern Bluebirds, and a Blue Jay. And this morning, I had an American Robin at the bird bath. All in all, quite a change from the last two and half months. Hopefully, some of the other migrants that usually frequent my feeders during the winter months (House Finches, Pine Siskins, Harris Sparrows, White-throated Sparrows, Fox Sparrows, etc.) will start showing up in the next week or so. Guess I'll have a bigger bird food bill for the next four months, but don't mind at all.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still haven't seen any here

treva

Gary said...

I hadn't either until yesterday morning when I noticed about two to three dozen Chipping Sparrows and four or five Juncos out back and spotted the other birds over the next hour or so. It was warmer this morning, and, other than the Chipping Sparrows whose numbers seemed to have increased, didn't see near as many of the other birds as yesterday, but did have a Robin, which hasn't been around lately, visit the bird bath.

Laura said...

A stray cat adopted us a while back and it seemed around the same time we noticed our birds had disappeared. We have other cats that didn't bother the birds, but I thought maybe this new cat was the culprit. I was considering finding her a new home, when much to our surprise within the last few days our birds have returned. Looking forward to seeing new visitors to my feeders. Happy bird watching to you too.
Laura

Unknown said...

ever since the bears tore down our feeders, we have
avoided feeding birds...but once we get some really cold weather and we know that the bears have settled in for a nice long nap, we can start again.
Sadly we don't have the variety that you have.

John Hermans