Thursday, July 1, 2010

Seen in My Backyard Yesterday

I found myself with very little to do yesterday (not that those who know me would be greatly surprised) and ended up sitting on back patio for part of the day watching the various animals, birds, butterflies and flowers that frequent my backyard. The day started with Becky and I sitting on patio having a cup of coffee to start the day. While sitting there we saw one of the three new fawns that have been born in the neighborhood in the last week or so. This one was grazing in front of our barn and later lay down in the tall grass to rest and hide.

Somewhat later, the neighborhood squirrels began to arrive to do their usual stealing of the birdfood in my feeders. This one stood outside the fence for a while before deciding to come on in while we sat close by.

Shortly thereafter, these two decided to fight with one another over which of them would use this feeder. With five feeders out, not sure why one of them couldn't have gone to different ones.
.
Throughout the day, the birds that frequent my backyard feeders also came and went including this juvenile Cardinal.

Also had Carolina Chickadees, Tufted Titmice, Ruby-throated Hummingbirds and a Painted Bunting I took pictures of these and saw several others that I didn't.




I also have a pair of Carolina Wrens that decided several weeks ago to set up housekeeping in one of Becky's hanging fern baskets and the female layed four eggs in the nest.

I checked it last week and there were two newly hatched featherless birds and two eggs that were about to hatch. I took this picture yesterday of the inside of the nest and caught one of the young ones staring back into the lens.

Also had a few butterflies flying around the yard. Most of them fly through and never land long enough to get a photo, but I did get these three.










Becky has planted several different kinds of flowers and so I went ahead and got a few shots of them as well.





All in all, other than it being cooler than normal due to the tropical storm south of us, it was a pretty typical Summer day here west of Decatur.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great photos

luvyjewel